Welcome to Extensive Reading II Class Blog!

Dear Students,

Thank you for trying to share the knowledge & experiences you have during our class this semester. It has been a real pleasure working with you =)

Before posting your article, please visit 2 articles that I have posted, under the label: (a) Lecturer's Note, and (b) HOW TO POST YOUR ARTICLE IN THIS BLOG.

The second part, I believe, will be really useful for those not really experienced with blogging. 

Thanks a lot!

Happy Blogging.

Jody

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Nanny McPhee Can Cathartic Bored

According to Wikipedia, bored is the past tense of the verb to bore; meaning either to cause boredom, or to drill a hole or passage through something. While boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them.
It is contrasted to Wikipedia’s definition of bored, bored is the biggest enemy of mine. That is my own opinion of bored. I hate it at the most. The reason is that whenever it approaches me the bad day ever will come to me. Unfortunately, bored is a new best friend of me during this semester. It is because of the bigger number of the task given to me as a student. It is just like I dedicate almost the whole of my life to do the tasks. It really makes me bored. In addition, I also join some other activities outside, which makes me at a loss what to do. Then, I have no time for myself as usual.
I feel bored because I have so many things to think and to do. Most of them are the new things for me. So I was surprised and had no idea at all. I know that it is not good to be long draw out of boredom. If we are in the same condition, it is better to find a way to solve the problem. One way is to think about our hobby. We can do our hobby not only in our spare time, but also whenever we need. Just start to think about our simple hobby. Simple here means that we don’t need to spend so much money and wasting our time more. This simple alternative of our hobby should be fun and entertaining enough.
Those simple hobbies can be listening to music, reading books, making something from second, keeping and caring animals, or watching movies. I am sure that it will make us no longer bored because these are the very simple things which are usually done by most people in the world. At this time, I would like to share one of those alternative hobbies. That is about watching movies. This one is better than the other alternatives I think. I don’t state that the others are the bad choice, but it is just a matter of efficiency and effectiveness. We will need more preparation to do the others than to watch movie. Here are the details of the movie: the movie’s identity and what the story is about.
In my opinion, the best movie to watch is Nanny McPhee. Nanny McPhee is a 2005 fantasy film. This movie is directed by Kirk Jones and Lindsay Doran. Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are the producers. The interesting fact is that this movie is written by Emma Thompson, the main character. Another stars are Colin Firth, Thomas Sangster, Eliza Bennett, Jennifer Rae Daykin, Raphael Coleman, Sam Honywood, Holly Gibbs, Hebe Barnes, and Zinnia Barnes. This movie is followed by Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang which is due for release in 2010.
I love this movie very much because it the story is good. The story is about family and education in home. The whole story is about the life of a widower who has seven children. The children are cared by a scullery maid named Evangeline, and Mrs. Blatherwick as the cook. Having no caring from a mother, those seven children are becoming very naughty. They try to get their father’s attention all the time while their father is busy with his job. Then, the family decides to ask assistance from a nanny. Unfortunately, so many nannies don’t want to be there. But then, there is a mysterious nanny came to their house. Everything about her is so strange.
The peculiarities of Nanny McPhee are the panacea of those children’s delinquency. Nanny McPhee can solve this problem by teaching them five lessons by showing some magic actions. The lessons are: to go to bed when they are told (and say please, to get up when they are told, to get dressed when they are told, to listen (and say thank you), and to do as they are told. The most interesting and entertaining part of this movie is on the face of Nanny McPhee. Her face will change every time those children do every single lesson given. The upper and lower warts, the unibrow, the shape of her body, the tooth, and the ear are change.
This story goes to the deeper problem; the family is in a crisis. Lady Adelaide, who is the supporter of the family’s financial, cannot help them anymore. There is only one way out of this problem for the widower that is by marrying a rich woman, named Mrs. Selma Quickly. Later, the marriage is cancelled by the children. It is because they don’t like the woman and that the widower doesn’t love her.
The end of the story is the most touching part. This is ended by a marriage between the widower and the scullery maid. All of them are happy. But then Nanny McPhee goes away from the family. It is just the same as what she always says on staying and going, “When you need me, but do not want me, then I will stay. When you want me, but no longer need me, then I have to go. It's rather sad, really, but there it is.” Another good thing of this movie is that there are so many moral values in this movie. Those moral values can be summarized as “we need to listen and respect others“. This simple lesson will bring a very big effect in social life.
As what the movie teach us, simple thing can make something bigger than ever. We can cathartic bored by doing something simple. The simple thing is to watch a movie. It can really release us from the boredom, it is very useful, and in addition we still get some new lessons of life.


References:
Boredom. May 25, 2010, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bored.
Bored (disambiguation). May 25, 2010, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bored_%28disambiguation%29
Nanny McPhee. March 24, 2010, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_McPhee

No comments:

Post a Comment